Many brands even ignore the importance of curation and instead only talk about themselves.
- Content Curation is the act of discovering, aggregating and posting online content that was produced by others, not yourself.
- Curation is typically focused on a specific topic or small number of topics that are considered relevant to the audience you’re trying to reach.
Tips for curating content in social media:
1) Knowing your audience and what they’re interested in is imperative.
2) Curating content from the same popular sources everyone else is, is not effective.
3) Curating content that is suggested from sites based on what others are already sharing is not effective. (see number 2)
4) Curating unique, recent and relevant content that is targeted toward your audience’s interest, will initiate engagement by your audience.
5) Retweeting on Twitter and Sharing posts on Facebook is not curating with a strategy, it’s executing someone else’s strategy. You need to RT and share other people’s posts, but not as your entire posting strategy.
6) Hashtagging curated posts with a strategy will grow your target audience if you do it properly.
7) Important reasons you must curate quality content posts:
- Provide relevant, selfless value to your community
- Build thought leadership on topics important to your strategy
- To stay top of mind with your audience
- To spark conversations
- To earn the right to share and promote your stuff
8) Developing a specific curation strategy is an important part of an overall social media strategy.
9) Having enough relevant posts all day long is important.
10) Being consistent with your curation posting makes a huge difference in your results.
11) Proper content curation sparks conversations with your audience and that leads to relationships and ROI.
12) When a curated post receives a lot shares, likes and engagement, it is resonating with your audience. Schedule it several more times over the next week to maximize the effectiveness of that single post.
13) There is no choice between quantity and quality with content curation. It’s always BOTH.
14) Curated social media posts that often get the most shares and engagement are the ones that are by relatively unknown sources!