Small business owners struggling to understand the importance of original content development can look to Netflix for an analogy.
With Content marketing there’s content curation, and there’s content creation.
- Curated content is anything that was written by someone else that you happen to be sharing on your pages; it may be a blog from one of your industry peers.
- Curated content is useful because it helps you prove that you’re engaged in your industry, and it offers you plenty of content ideas for sharing.
Developing a Voice – So what was the problem with Netflix relying on curated content forever? There was no real reason for people to pick Netflix over competitive services.
- Netflix got wise and started building its own stable of shows—and now, if you want to check out such widely talked-about, critically acclaimed shows as House of Cards you have to get Netflix.
- Exclusivity has given Netflix power, and Hulu and Amazon Prime have started adopting similar strategies.
- The implication for content marketing is while curating content can add context, depth, and variety to your social media platforms, original content is a critical, integral component.
It’s what gives your brand a voice, a point of view, and a sense of exclusivity.
- Best place to watch TV online (foxnews.com)
- Netflix: The Red Menace (fastcompany.com)
- Comcast Could Soon Become One of Netflix’s Biggest Allies (fool.com)